Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Oatmeal and Smoothie


Here is the oatmeal that KC and I made last Saturday. It is rolled oatmeal with dried cranberries, freeze dried blue berries and some frozen black berries.

First we cooked the oatmeal (about 1.5 or so cups dried) with extra water. After a couple of minutes we added about 1/3 cups of each of the berries. We added more water so that way it didn't become a death paste and so the berries could rehydrate. We then added some Splenda to sweeten it without adding any more sugar.


Here is a picture of KC's plate. We also made eggs. KC had scrambled off to the side. I of course wanted to be difficult and had eggs over easy...












So I put my eggs over the oatmeal. It was actually pretty good. This was a little carby but delicious, mostly low calorie it had some decent protein going on and it filled me up for a long time.










You will have to excuse my poor focus in this picture. This was probably my best decision this past week. I was still hungry from dinner and wanted something with a lot of protein. I have some protein powder that AAA gave me which has been doing alright for breakfasts so I decided that I would make it my base. Using frozen bananas (1 banana) some frozen black berries (1/2 cup) and some frozen mango (1/2 cup) as my sweeteners I broke out my blender. To the berries I added about one cup of Greek style yogurt and LOTS of soy milk (basically until it wasn't berry cement) I also added a splash of orange juice for fun. Once that blended smoothly I added a scoop and a half of the vanilla protein powder and mixed until smooth. With the protein powder alone there was 60 grams of protein. That doesn't add the amount from the yogurt or soy milk. It also tasted like ice cream, I'm not joking. So next time you want something smooth and cold in stead of going to DQ or out to the store to get a pint. See if you have the fixings to this and try it out yourself (if you don't have to protein powder add a little Splenda or honey since it gave the smoothie some sweetness). I bet it will be great!

2 comments:

  1. You figured out the pictures! woot!
    I want vanilla/fruit/protien shake right now.
    :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Below the Blogs I Follow on my sidebar there is the subscribe thingy.

    ReplyDelete